Old 06-03-2004, 06:59 PM
nambucca

Default Small lodger in the compost bin...

"FF" wrote in message
Twice this week, the husband has seen a rat in the compost bin. When I

checked there
was no sign, no holes in or around the bin, the lid's on, the little slidy

door's
closed.

What should I do? Turn the compost and turf ratty out? Get rid of the

compost? How
did he get in there in the first place! We've never put any of the banned

things in
there, just peelings and garden waste really.

Many thanks,

Liz

Rats like undisturbed teritory and if the bin is on the ground not on paving
or bricks it will have got in from underground

Simply turn out the contents of the bin having first banged and crashed
around it to scare the lodger out

You can then resite the bin and return the contents ,,,,,,,,the compost is
perfectly safe to use although its best to wear rubber gloves just in case
of any disease risk via a cut in the skin but thats the case in most
gardening