Old 06-03-2004, 09:36 PM
Loki

Default pomegranite seeds

il Sat, 06 Mar 2004 12:54:40 GMT, Frogleg ha scritto:

On 06 Mar 2004 18:43:58 +1300, "Loki" wrote:

I bought a pomegranite and was wondering if anyone has had any
experience growing a plant from the seed? I have a dwarf tree
already, but the fruit are miniscule. This shop one is like a cricket
ball, not a pingpong ball.

Googling, one site said to remove the pulp from a pomegranate seed,
let dry for a day, put in moist potting soil and keep moist, and
expect germination within 1-3 weeks. OTOH, my seed-starting book says
of a dwarf variety not to cover the seeds because they need light to
germinate and specifics a germination time of 20-28 days. Pomegranates
have heaps of seeds. I'd try both methods.

However, another note says plants from seed "may" not breed true. This
is truly a case of YYMV. :-)

YYMV? My dwarf tree was a cutting. Maybe it doesn't like the pot it's
in since it's still small. Those seeds, iIf they germinate so quickly
I'd better wait till early spring next year. My seed book doesn't
mention them at all.
--
Cheers,