Old 07-03-2004, 12:38 AM
Nate

Default Clematis question

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 08:43:56 -0800, Bill Litchfield wrote:

Ok, so my equal half bought a Clematis plant the other day on sale (her
excuse), and now we want to know when to transplant it outdoors - before or
after our last Spring frost? We live in zone 6 in the wilds of Washington
State.

Thanks,
Bill

Having worked in a nursery last summer, our clematis looked quite feeble
since they were new plants. The advice was to put them in the ground
about 3" deeper than their potted soil depth.

I bought clematis several years ago via mail order. They are growing like
weeds. Clematis like cool roots and sunshine on the leaves. You can
create shade for the roots by planting other things around the clematis.

Fear not, it is only a plant. If it doesn't like its new digs, get
another.