Old 24-01-2003, 06:35 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Mycorrhiza

I've been doing some reading up on Mycorrhiza. mainly because
ive seen it
as aproduct offered at local nursery. Its mainly spoken about

in realtion
to black pines. And some controvery about Mycorrhiza and

fertilizer. im
interested in if it would be a good addition to all plants no

just the
pines. eg. japanese maples, oaks, sweet gum etc. And what is

you opinon
to add it yo juvenille plants?

On Bonsai and Mycorrhiza:

1. There is NO one-kind-fits-all Mycorrhiza; Mycorrhiza are
extremely species specific.
2. If you need Mycorrhiza, they/it almost always will come.
With no effort on your part. I dunno why. Or how. (Maybe Nina
does.)
3. The so-called "function" of Mycorrhiza is to make hard-to-use
nutrients more accessible to the plant. For potted trees, we
supply all the nutrients they need, and in an easily useable
form, so there's no real need for Mycorrhiza (though Mycorrhiza
probably are there; Mycorrhiza tend to develop even on
bare-rooted plants).
4. Reportedly, Mycorrhiza tends to disappear when a plant is
heavily fertilized. Many pesticides (plant, animal, and fungal)
adversely affect Mycorrhiza.

So, save your money and don't worry about adding or developing
Mycorrhiza.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --