Old 07-03-2004, 11:32 AM
Sacha

Default GM Crops

Gill Hall7/3/04 10:49

There is extensive coverage in the Independent this morning about the degree
of
contamination in the US - quote: two-thirds of conventional crops in the US
are now contaminated with GM material, dooming organic agriculture and posing
severe future risk to health - unquote. The latter statement is explored with
reference to the next generation of crops bred to produce industrial chemicals
and pharmaceuticals.

Even allowing for some hype, this is very disturbing news. We have written to
our MP, to Blair and to Brown before deploring the Government's desire to
railroad the UK into growing GM crops. I find myself very emotional over this
as I am committed to growing, buying and eating organic food and I want to
retain this choice. As I am preparing to write the next batch of letters, to
the supermarkets I buy from, to the government et al. can anybody suggest any
other ways (perhaps more effective) I can make my protest felt?

I realise that not everyone may share my view!

The Daily Mail ran an article the other day about illnesses among people in
the Phillipines (IIRC) and the strong suspicion of links between that and GM
maize recently planted near their homes. You could try copying that and
sending it with your protests.
I believe quite a lot of research has been done in Canada where it's said
there are big regrets over the planting of GM maize and its consequent
effect upon the environment.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk