Old 07-03-2004, 02:51 PM
Pam - gardengal

Default Clematis question

"Mark Anderson" wrote in message
.net...
In article says...
Depends on what the clematis looks like now. If it was purchased bare

root -
in box with a plastic bag around the roots filled with peat - it should
planted in a pot for a season before planting it directly into the

ground.

Is this also true for the raspberry and blueberry plants they sell at
Menards. Those too are in a box with a plastic bag around the roots
filled with peat. I got suckered by Menards and bought a couple, planted
them outside, and they all died.

Depends on their size. Many bare root plants can be planted directly into
the ground from the box or bag and should do well. If they are tiny, I'd pot
them up for a season. IME, most bare root berry plants are large enough to
be directly planted out. Their failure may be due to improper care and
storage by the supplier, which is always a risk with discount bare root
stock

pam - gardengal