Old 07-03-2004, 04:20 PM
Jerry Meislik

Default [IBC] Crab apple root gall

Nina,
My impression was that the parasite causing the galls was a nematode. See
http://plant-disease.ippc.orst.edu/a...m?article_id=1
In any case your suggestions on caution are well advised, but to not belabor
the point the disease did not seem to harm the apple bonsai which I had and
were collected with it over a period of over ten years.
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
Zone 4-5
http://www.bonsaihunk.8m.com/
Well, that's not a good idea. Those galls are caused by root aphids, and
they, over the long haul, can debilitate a crab, and make it more
susceptible to any other disease. I would bare-root the tree and
carefully wash between the nodules, using a Q-tip to get into cracks. But
of course use your judgement: if your trees are likely to be more stressed
by the bare-rooting than by the aphids, leave them be. The aphids attack
the roots of crabapples and the foliage of elms, so be alert if you have
elms.

Kevin,
I had a number of apple trees that were collected, about 45 years of age
and
they had the nodules on the roots. I never had one die or even suffer from
the disease. In fact, the appearance of the surface roots was so good I
tried to introduce it to other apples!
Jerry Meislik

Nina

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++