Old 07-03-2004, 05:16 PM
Bill Litchfield

Default When To Plant Broccoli Transplants...

"C.Swartz" wrote in message

Howdy all. For my second year of gardening I will be growing my own
broccoli transplants from seed. My question: how early can I set the
transplants out? I'm in zone 5. The last frost date is generally around
the end of May. Would the middle of April be too early to set out
broccoli transplants? Should I use hotcaps or anything when setting them
out early?

Any input appreciated.
Chris

Properly hardened off Broccoli seedlings can take a light frost or two, but
not a heavy one or a freeze. I think your mid-April target is just a bit
early. Here in zone 6, I set my Broccoli transplants out about a week to ten
days before our last expected frost, but no earlier. Works well for me.

Shalom,
Bill