Old 07-03-2004, 06:12 PM
Fashion1st

Default my lawn is a mess,can it be corrected?

LFR wrote:
When I bought my house in Virginia, my yard was predominantly weeds. We
contracted with Lawn Doctor. They came in the fall and on 2 separate
occasions gave our lawn the Round-Up treatment. Then they came and seeded
over the dead stuff. We stayed with them for a year and they came and took
care of our lawn on regular intervals (6 times that year). That first year,
we had a beautiful, green lawn with few weeds. The only thing I regret is
not having tilled the yard before they seeded. Our soil tends to be
compacted. I thought they were going to till after they killed off the
weeds, but they did not.

The point to my story? Live with the weeds now because I think it's too
late to start. My understanding is that it's best to try to establish a new
lawn in the fall when the weeds start to die off. My suggestion would be to
give the whole back yard the Round-Up treatment, then when everything is
brown, you may want to till just to loosen the soil. Then seed and use a
starter fertilizer.

Everything I've read indicates that a healthy, thick lawn prevents weeds
from taking over. I've witnessed it in some neighboring lawns. Use a weed
& feed on the front lawn in the spring. It may be too late for you now but
it's still worth a try, in my opinion.

Hope this helped.

Lynn

I hope you realize that everything you have written, while technically
correct, is not politically correct. Within 24 hours you will hear from
paghat, gardengal and many other pseudo-environmentalists who will
chastise, castigate, flame and otherwise smear your good name. Good luck.