Old 07-03-2004, 07:17 PM
Keith E. Loyd

Default raising baby red ramshorns who really do eat certain plants...

Howdy,

I recently quarantined a pair of red ramshorn snails and their offspring
away from my planted tank. It had mild algae issues, but these snails,
despite their reputation, were making a buffet of certain swords,
ceropteris, lileopsis, and nymphoides.

They are now in a nice sized bucket with one of those off-the-side filters.

My question is this - what can I get away with feeding them that will keep
them healthy - including the babies? I just tossed a spindly sword in
there, kind of torn up and decided that they will eat it and be happy if
there is nothing else.

Can I just keep feeding them the discarded plant parts until they are big
enough to trade at my pet store?

regards,
Keith E. Loyd