Old 07-03-2004, 09:16 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default HELP - Bamboo!

The message
from "Jon" contains these words:

We moved into our house a year ago and the bamboo was (and still is) taking
over the garden.
How can I kill some of it off please????

If you are anywhere near Norfolk you can put some my way.

Don't listen to Franz - he hasn't got any pandas to keep his down....

We had some clumps of bamboo when I was an anklebiter, and in twenty
years the clumps hardly enlarged at all. You seem to have a nice
vigorous example. Cut the canes each year and grow runner beans is my
advice......

You might have to do a bit of hard digging and chopping if you really
want to reduce them, but just trimming off any new root extensions with
a spade isn't difficult, and killing the whole clump isn't a great
problem either. Glyphosate in the mid spring should do the job, but
unfortunately it doesn't dig the roots up.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/