Old 07-03-2004, 09:32 PM
Hal

Default my lawn is a mess,can it be corrected?

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 03:08:52 GMT, "Evan Mann" wrote:

My lawn is a major mess. I live in Central FL and the grass type is bahia.
The front yard isn't too bad but it has lots of patches of what I believe is
crabgrass and TONS of dollarweed.

Raising a great lawn is a simple matter, you just water adequately to
make green stuff grow, then cut it. Repeat, repeat, repeat! If you
are willing to accept a bahaia lawn it will outgrow any weeds I've
ever seen with water and frequent mowing.

If you are unhappy with bahaia, bahaia is tough, grows better than
weeds and produces seed shoots in three days. One time kill isn't
going to rid you of it because some of the seed will wait a year or
two before sprouting and it will come back. There used to be a
product called Poast, not sure it is still available, but it would
kill Bahaia and not kill centipede. Ask your County agent if Poast
or a similar herbicide is available for the grass of your choice and
where to get it. It isn't cheap, but few things are these days. It
also requires a bit of dedication. One must water first then spray
the chemical while the Bahaia is growing fast, refrain from mowing and
pray it doesn't rain for the required time it takes for the bahaia to
absorb the chemical.
If you are serious you will probably need more help and should be able
to find some from the County Agent:
http://www.ifas.ufl.edu/extension/ces.htm

Regards,

Hal