Old 08-03-2004, 01:32 AM
simy1

Default Coldframe for Lettuce

"Lorenzo L. Love" wrote in message hlink.net...

As I said, no other protection. The coldest I had it here is 7F and only
had minor frost damage to cold hardy leaf lettuce, head cabbage and bok
choi. Normal winters of 10 to 13F, no damage. They grow slow in the
winter, but they grow. A frost blanket should take it much lower but I
don't need it here. From plants started last fall I've been picking the
outer lettuce leaves all winter, the bok choi just got big enough to
start harvesting a couple weeks ago, the head cabbage hasn't headed up
yet, some years it doesn't head but it still makes good soup.

We went down to -9F here this year, but my lettuce, chicory, tatsoi
and arugula kept on going under the tunnels. By now I have removed the
plastic and have had a few salads from the garden. The sorrel (which
is not protected) is poking out together with the daylilies and daffs.
This week we should dip down to 20 or so, but established hardy greens
will take that.