Old 08-03-2004, 04:06 AM
Bonnie Punch

Default ground cherry "bushes"

In article ,
arden says...
I just ordered some seeds from seed savers. I ordered some cherry plant seeds
that are low to the ground. Anyone ever hear of these?

I've been growing those for years. It's also known as Physallis, and
cape gooseberry (there are a number of cultivars, so I can't give you
an exact name) - related to "Chinese Lanterns" and tomatillos. A calyx
forms from the flower with the fruit inside. In my experience they get
about three - four feet tall and will need some support (one of those
cheap, otherwise useless, round tomato supports works well). The fruit
is ripe when it falls to the ground, still inside the calyx. The calyx
will be papery and the fruit inside will be greenish yellow to bright
orange, with the more orange ones being sweeter. I don't find they
taste anything like cherries, but YMMV. Kids tend to love them. They're
pretty prolific producers once they get going, so you wont need more
than three or four plants - unless the neighborhood kids develope a
taste for them. They'll keep for a couple of weeks in the fridge.

Bonnie Punch