Old 08-03-2004, 09:36 AM
jane

Default Recycle compost - Whats the best method

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 19:38:43 +0000 (UTC), "nambucca"
wrote:

~
~"aa ka" wrote in message
.. .
~ I hate throwing things away, and it seems a shame to throw old used
~ compost onto the compost heap.
~
~ I need to get rid of weed seeds and any nasty bugs and even nastier
~ diease's.
~
~ Would it be best to microwave small qtys, or put some in the gas oven.
~ I remember doing this as a kid for my dad, and spoiling the stew pot.
~ But I canot remember the results.
~
~ Or just use jeyes fluid, but will that kill the weeds.
~
~ Or maybe bleach or maybe hydrogen peroxide, I seem to remember these
~ bearkdown into mainly water.
~
~ Does anybody have any experiences ???? they cou;d share.
~
~
~Unless my old used compost has vine weevil in it I throw all of it and
~anything into my compost bins ........the heat generated in a good compost
~bin will kill most things including weeds
~

Urgh - don't. I was redoing one of my window boxes yesterday and all
the self-set baby primroses I've been cultivating in it came away in
my hand.
Three dozen vine weevil grubs later I stopped digging and tipped the
compost on the worst patch of chalk I have, away from the main pots.
By then, next door's kids had got interested in what I was up to and
now know what to do with vine weevil grubs.

Put them on a high sided tray and leave them out for the robin! I
fully expect there to be none left by tonight.

~If I want to sterilise soil i put a metal tray of it on top of my
~incinerator full of dry twigs etc .......light the incinerator and i kill 2
~birds with one stone !!!!

I have three more boxes to furtle through, so I'll probably find a lot
more of the blighters.

Perhaps I ought to get out the kettle barbecue and use that... I've
got a fair bit of stuff to burn in any case. Thanks for that useful
idea (and I might stuff a foil-covered potato in to bake, too!)

--
jane

Mark Twain