Old 08-03-2004, 07:49 PM
Victoria Clare

Default New garden

"Glen Able" wrote in
:

If I use some 6' trellis panels to do this, d'you reckon it would be
nice to plant bamboos behind them?

Bamboos do have a reputation for spreading, so be a bit careful which ones
you choose and where you put them. If you can mow all the way round they
will have a harder job escaping, but if they can sneak along the bed you
may want to put in a barrier to contain the roots.

They can do the 'grow to 6 feet then stop' thing though, which is
definitely handy!

Also, if I'm going to get some permanent climbers started off, will

they play nicely if I mix in some annuals (sweet peas etc.) for quick
screening?

Should be OK if not too closely planted and all are well fed, though some
perennial climbers are quite quick in their own right - some of the
honeysuckles for example, and perennial sweet pea is almost as quick as its
annual relative for me.

Another thing to consider- those rolls of brush screening. They don't last
all that long, but they do make quite a good thing to put behind young
shrubs, which will grow up and obscure them as they start to rot away.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall