Old 08-03-2004, 07:53 PM
Janet Baraclough..

Default Compost cooked food?

The message
from Frogleg contains these words:

I have a vegetarian compost pile. That is, only raw veg and fruit
trimmings, coffee grounds, rinsed&crushed eggshells, etc. (plus the
other usual non-food items). I don't add any cooked or prepared food
leftovers unless they contain no butter, oil, salt, (salad dressing)
because I don't want any grease or salt in my compost.(snip)

Why do you go to such lengths to eliminate salt and grease from your
compost? There are natural oils in many plants and natural salts in many
soils, so I reckon naturally formed humus/compost/soil must contain
both. Going by the state of my windows, the soil on this island must get
drenched in sea salt all winter but remains very fertile :-)

Janet.(Isle of Arran)