Old 08-03-2004, 10:11 PM
Cereus-validus

Default Blue Petunia's

Would Heliotrope be you first choice as a flower to use in a floral display
to represent the colors of the French flag?

The problem is that Heliotrope aren't floriferous enough for how Scout
intends to use them. Are there white and red Heliotrope too?

What would Atticus Finch do in this situation?

"Françoise" wrote in message
You can choose Marine Heliotrope, Heliotropium arborescens. It is a
beautiful,
exotic plant with dark green leaves and dark blue 4-6 inch flower clusters
above
branching stems. It is called Marine because it is really dark bleu. It has
vanilla fragrance, which is very nice. I have been planting heliotropes for
the
past 4 years and I love them. I start seeds indoors 10-12 weeks before last
frost date. I think that they can grow to 10 - 12 feet high. But if you only
want petunias, I cannot help you.

Françoise.

Cereus-validus wrote:

Blue flowered Petunias are biochemically impossible. The floral pigment is
carotenoid and the closest you could ever get is a deep purple, never
anything approaching a true blue.

Lobelia erinus is the traditional plant grown for a true blue flower

color.
There are also selections of it with white, pink and red flowers!

"Scout Lady" wrote in message
I have been looking for blue petunia's and although I found some that

say
they are blue they look purple rather than blue. Is it my monitor or are
there petunia's that are dark blue in color?

Anyone have a suggestion for an alternative blue flower? I am planning

on
fourth of July party and I wanted to do one of the back flowerbeds in

red,
white and blue for a change in color. Petunia's always grew quite well

in
this space so I'm trying to stick with something I know will grow well

or
equally as well.

---