Old 09-03-2004, 02:37 AM
Michael Persiano

Default [IBC] Union of Tree and Clay (Was: [IBC] Pacific Rim Bonsai Collection Call to Artists

In a message dated 3/8/2004 2:19:20 PM Eastern Standard Time, writes:

I haven't heard of any potters trying to get their efforts
"elevated" into one of the arts. Potters that I know are
perfectly happy to be known as master craftsmen and women. (One
of the benefits of being a master craftsman, is that living
artisans actually can MAKE a living at it; that's often not so in
"The Arts.")

A tree in a plastic pot can be beautiful can be nice looking.
A nice (empty) bonsai pot, can be a thing of beauty.

But the same tree, presented in that beautiful pot (assuming

they go
together) can be fantastic.

In the same way, the potted tree, presented on a fantastic

stand, will
join to be a greater thing of beauty.

Very true. BUT the pot, and the stand are there to SERVE
the
tree, which is their reason for being.

I am not certain that the word is serve. There is a union between tree and clay, and within this union both the tree and the pot collectively achieve one goal--an expression of beauty.

Beyond this point, I will say that many pots are true works of art. Ron Lang, Dale Cochoy, and other masterful potters are producing some very impressive work.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob/index.html

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++