Old 09-03-2004, 05:42 AM
B & J

Default Wall O' Water - Has anyone tried this?

"Dwight Sipler" wrote in message
Play4aBuck wrote:

Has anyone tried this or anything else like it?...

snip

On the whole, I prefer wire hoops and covers (e.g. reemay, clear
plastic) for transient protection to the wall-o-waters, but then all my
stuff is in rows which are amenable to such covers. The hoops and covers
are much quicker to set up.

I use concrete reinforcing wire cages around my tomatoes with clear 3 mil
duct taped plastic covering the cages with enough extra on the top to fold
over during a cold snap. The tomato plants are planted in the center of this
structure with two metal posts inside the cage to keep the wind from blowing
it over. It works as if the tomato was growing inside a miniature
greenhouse. This gives me a two week jump on the growing season, makes the
plants grow faster, and keeps the plant growth inside the cage. Ordinarily I
leave the plastic around the cages for a month to six weeks.

BTW, this is a trick I learned from watching Jim Crockett on the original
Victory Garden, and it works just as well in zone 6 in northern AR as it did
in zone 3 in northern MN.

John