Old 09-03-2004, 11:48 PM
Kenni Judd

Default More arrests....

The difference is not only in their handling of plants -- as to which my
experience is similar to Ray's -- but in their understanding of the actual
laws and regulations.

I once made the mistake of calling to find out if I needed CITES docs to
ship to a US possession [Guam]; the person I spoke to insisted that I did,
and faxed me the regs upon which he was relying -- which stated, as clearly
as gov't docs get, on the very first page, that I did not. Although the
sale that I lost as a result would have been a nice one, it wasn't big
enough to "fight city hall" over. [And although it wouldn't have mattered
under the language of the regs, the orchids in question were not species, or
even primary hybrids, so there was literally ZERO possibility that they
could have been wild-collected.]
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

"Ray" wrote in message
Crystal,

My only concern related to the "stringency" with which the inspection
stations work has to do with their experience with orchids. I can tell

you
from personal experience that some know what they're doing better than
others.

In some cases, clusters of pseudobulbs were torn apart before the
formerly-specimen-plants got to me, while in others, they look like they
took a course from me on orchid handling and packing.

. . . . . . . . . . .
"House of Paisley" wrote in message
True or untrue, there is something about this story that doesn't
add up to me. I gave George the benefit of the doubt after
the last incident, but am finding it harder to do so now. If I
were in his position I would have wanted my shipments to go
through the most stringent import station and specifically
requested my imports be thoroughly inspected to avert further
attention. Sure it would take longer, but there are other vendors
where it takes months to get through the inspection process. I
do have to say in his defense that I specifically check each plant
I buy from any vendor to make sure it isn't a cites problem
and none that I considered buying from his lists seemed to
be restricted, but I don't check every plant on his lists, and
don't buy Paphs. So take from that what you will.

Crystal

--
http://home.comcast.net/~xtals/orchid.htm
"David Fouchey" wrote in message

I was working under the assunmption the charges are likely true. If
not then I hope he is exonerated. BUT when it comes to fols who ARE
guilty of wholesale rampaging through wild stock I have no pity or use
for them.

MY Humble opinion of course.

And Ray I agreee with you on Dubya but this is not the proper forum
for that discussion! G

Dave