Old 10-03-2004, 02:12 AM
David Hare-Scott

Default Material for raised bed

"William Henson" wrote in message
I am thinking of using raised beds for my garden this year, I would like

put several in before the start of the growing season. My question is

what
to make them out of?

1. I could use untreated lumber, but then I need a way of preserving

them.
Any thoughts or ideas on this? Are there non-toxic paints or stains I can
use?

If you can get the right species you can use untreated timber and it will
last in contact with the soil. There is no point in me mentioning names as
you proabably cannot get them unless you are in rural Australia, in which
case you probably wouldn't be asking the question. Around here they do not
treat fence posts and they last 20-30 years in the ground, see if this is
done in your neighbourhood and if you can get your planks cut from the same
timber.

David