Old 10-03-2004, 02:23 AM
Stephen M. Henning

Default Material for raised bed

"William Henson" wrote:

1. I could use untreated lumber, but then I need a way of preserving them.
Any thoughts or ideas on this? Are there non-toxic paints or stains I can
use?

Cuprinol (copper napthenate) wood preservative (the green one) has been
used for generations in green houses and the fruit and vegetable
industry.

http://www.cuprinol.co.uk/webapp/wcs.../servlet/CUPUK
/Which_Product/Pdfs/wpg.pdf

2. I could use treated lumber, I think the newer kinds are arsenic free.
Are there chemicals in this kind of wood that may leech into the soil?

The new woods are said to be safe. I would season the wood first by
letting it sit in the wind and rain in a lawn area first for a week or
two. If it doesn't rain, you will have to spray it with the garden hose.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman