Old 10-03-2004, 02:26 AM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Crab apple root gall

I think the Hawthorn and the Apple are of the same genus or
family and were affected by the same Blight. The disease was
traveling back and forth from the Juniper and the Haw-thorns.

Haws, apples, pears, peaches, plums, and several gazillion other
genera are all members of the Rose family. They all share
several TYPES of diseases. I THINK it is unlikely that the haw
and the apple had the exact same disease (unless it was
fireblight), but they each get their own kind of rust and I think
junipers are the alternate host for each.

I've never seen a juniper killed by the rust -- tho they can look
messy.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Who has
"cedar apples" on his J. silicicola the size of grapefruit.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++