Old 10-03-2004, 03:03 AM
Anita Hawkins

Default [IBC] Crab apple root gall

Hi Steve!

I think the Hawthorn and the Apple are of the same genus or family

Same family (Rosaceae), yes, different genuses.. ummmmm, genera.

and were affected by the same Blight.

Possible... the cedar-apple rust (Gymnosporangium juniperi-virginianae) will
also infect hawthorn. I don't know if hawthorn rust (G. globosuma) also infects
apple. See http://ianrpubs.unl.edu/plantdisease/g1327.htm for probably more info
than you ever wanted on rusts, in case you don't have Nina's article (she's out
of town for a few days, or she'd be right in here!).

The disease was traveling back and forth from the Juniper and the Haw-thorns.
My juniper survived.

Glad to hear that! Tho both the rusts are usually less damaging to the juniper
than to the rosaceous hosts. Among my trees the orchard apples are often
defoliated by the rust, and I have yet to see any galls on my (bonsai) junipers,
tho the local redcedars are always loaded. In spite of my picking off every gall
within reach :/

but I had to get rid of the Haw thorns they were reeking havoc on my juniper

You should be safe now, as long as there aren't haws in your local hedgerow or
neighbor's yard... if we hear of a mysterious nightime Hawthorn Killer loose in
Long island, we know nothing

Anita
Northern Harford County, Maryland, USDA zone 6
Go forth under the open sky, and list
To Nature's teachings.
- William Cullen Bryant

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++