Old 10-03-2004, 04:14 AM
len gardener

Default vegetable shelf life? in supermarkets

g'day andrew,

thanks for the info' funny isn't it the double standards of society.

my searching online so far has revealed that there is a product called
'maleic hydrazide' that is used for the purpose of suppressing
sprouting growth in those vegetables lines that will do so on the
shelf, so basically that covers anything that is a tuber, bulb or a
corm. mostly done for the larger supermarkets in the larger centers.

don't know about tests for chemical residues in fresh produce meat or
otherwise, if there is it will only be random and the big boys will be
except i reckon, all the meat product they sell is from chemically
growth promoted animals/fowls so there are bound to be residues to
start with. if they check for residues i would guess they would be
looking for pesticide (pesticide means anything ie.,. herbicides and
fungicides) contamination from spraying on or near where cattle are
fed/graze.

hope you got some good rain your way might be more to come yet hope
anyway, drought is a long way from being over.

ta

len

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 18:06:41 +1100, "Andrew G"
wrote:

snipped
--
happy gardening