Old 10-03-2004, 04:17 AM
Geoff Rousell

Default Hops?

(MikeMcG) wrote in
om:

Geoff Rousell wrote
I'm a bit surprised this thread didn't include a mention of some of
the new "dwarf" hop varieties which are emminently suitable for
home-growing. I grew some "primadonna" last year a single "hill" in a
large-ish pot, climbed nicely to around 7 feet and produced plenty of
cones. Marshalls also have a variety called "Diva" this year...

Geoff
(homebrewer turned gardener...)

I take it you brewed with them then?
any good?
the only dwarf variety I know of with proven brewing track record is
First Gold - mediumly bitter with quite a pleasant orangey fruit
taste/aroma.

Confession time! Well, I have dried them, but haven't had time to do a brew
to test them. I was intending to use them for some dry-hopping rather than
do a full boil. They certainly smell gorgeous and they are rated as
"medium" in alpha acid content and intended to be used as a general purpose
hop either for aroma or bittering. (Sounds too good to be true....)

Geoff