Old 10-03-2004, 05:44 AM

Default One More Plant Fertilizer Question

contents:

Total Nitrogen: 16%
7.5% Ammonical Nitrogen
8.5% Nitrate Nitrogen

Hey...
Whatever you do, dont get the Nutrafin Plant Gro Spikes!!!! I had them
for a week and my Phosphate level went through the damn roof like a
rocket!! Went well over 5ppm. Luckily I was able to identify them as
the culprit and removed them. Now my ratios are all outa wack, and I
have Nutrafin Plant Gro Spikes to thank for it! Read the
ingredients...the NPK is NOT in a 10:1 ratio! I think, from my
experience, it will add more harm than good...try the Seachem if you
want...

You have been warned...
Nick

Rather than reading anything about ratios read the part about
Ammonical Nitrogen==== urea/NH4.

Try this, add KH2PO4 to 5ppm and then try adding .2ppm of NH4.
Keep C02 and the other paratrmeters the same for each run.

A bunch of PO4 will not do anything as far as algae presence but even
a small amount of NH4/urea will cause blooms.

We commnly add NO3, PO4, K and traces, the only thing missing is the
NH4/urea.

Therein lies the problem with terrestrial fertilizers, not PO4.
I commonly dose 1ppm of PO4, the algae has the same access as the
plants do, its entirely orthophosphate which in inorganic highly
available in the water column PO4. This level is maintained 0.5ppm to
1.0ppm or higher so algae certainly are not limited nor are the plants
in terms of PO4. Adding more is not going to give you more algae or
plants beyond their intital needs/storage.
Algae need far less nutrients than the plants do also.

N:P ratios for aquatic plants= 10:1. FW algae= 14:1.
More PO4 will favor the plants.

My tanks have no had algae issues for over decade. If you toss a jobes
stick into the water column you will get instant algae bloom.

It's simple enough to do and prove it to your self.

This is myth about PO4 = algae in planted tanks.

Regards,
Tom Barr