Old 10-03-2004, 10:09 AM
Andy Hunt

Default Berries in a shady spot?

I'm hoping to get together enough fruits to have a go at making wine
at some stage, so another berry bush would be good - but it would have
to be one which is OK in the shade.

Elder might manage it, if there is space, and you can harvest either the
flowers or the berries, according to taste.

Alternatively, rhubarb isn't a berry, but you can make wine and pies from
it, and it is very tolerant of almost any position as long as you feed it
well and don't let it completely dry out.

Thanks Victoria, I might have a go at the elder, it is a reasonably sized
patch so it should be OK - and the more berries/flowers the better, as far
as I am concerned. And if it grows out from the wall in a big bush, it will
catch some of the sunlight anyway - my garden is a real sun-trap and gets
very warm.

I'm a little unfamiliar with this stuff, and a friend told me that rhubarb
can be a little bit difficult for a novice like me. So I shall take the
advice of my 'elders' . . . !

Andrew