Old 10-03-2004, 10:12 AM
Andrew G

Default vegetable shelf life? in supermarkets

"len gardener" wrote in message
g'day andrew,

thanks for the info' funny isn't it the double standards of society.

It certainly is, and the example I can give was the teacher using a spray
mist bottle, giving it one squirt in the air, waving a piece of blotting
paper through the air, showing us the totally wet piece of paper, and
comparing it to spraying a weed, saying it only needs a quick spray.
Now 1, the blotting paper and a waxy leaf coating aren't even remotely
close.
2, try in practice spraying only one leaf of a weed with roundup, or a light
mist. It may wilt, start discolouring, but almost guarnateed that it will
re-shoot, hence re-growing with the effects of roundup. Do it enough times
to the same weed, and it will become immune to the chemical, and possibly
the seed will go on to produce a new weed that will be even less affected by
roundup. Overtime, the roundup could eventually have no effect on it. Now
that he didn't mention.

my searching online so far has revealed that there is a product called
'maleic hydrazide' that is used for the purpose of suppressing
sprouting growth in those vegetables lines that will do so on the
shelf, so basically that covers anything that is a tuber, bulb or a
corm. mostly done for the larger supermarkets in the larger centers.

Well there you go, didn't know that

don't know about tests for chemical residues in fresh produce meat or
otherwise, if there is it will only be random and the big boys will be
except i reckon, all the meat product they sell is from chemically
growth promoted animals/fowls so there are bound to be residues to
start with. if they check for residues i would guess they would be
looking for pesticide (pesticide means anything ie.,. herbicides and
fungicides) contamination from spraying on or near where cattle are
fed/graze.

Very true and no doubt there would be acceptable limits/levels, but still I
would assume some get through.

hope you got some good rain your way might be more to come yet hope
anyway, drought is a long way from being over.

Thank you, and hope there is some your way. I think we got about 170mm 2
weeks ago, but all in 1.5days, so most ran off the surface. Got some on the
weekend which proved helpful as it was light but constant, however
yesterdays mid 30's temps would have dried it up.

ta

len

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 18:06:41 +1100, "Andrew G"
wrote:

snipped
--
happy gardening

"in the end ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do" but consider others and the

environment
http://home.dnet.aunz.com/gardnlen/