Old 10-03-2004, 10:41 AM
Victoria Clare

Default Berries in a shady spot?

"Andy Hunt" wrote in
news:iwB3c.3731$54.1@newsfe1-win:

I'm a little unfamiliar with this stuff, and a friend told me that
rhubarb can be a little bit difficult for a novice like me. So I shall
take the advice of my 'elders' . . . !

!!!

rhubarb difficult to grow???

Where on earth is your garden, the Sahara? ;-)

Rhubarb is about the easiest edible plant for an ordinary English garden.
You plant it, you stick some compost on, and then a bit later, you eat it.
If it gets very dry indeed you might want to water it.

If you are capable of growing raspberries & blueberries in a pot, you are
certainly over the 'rhubarb threshold'.

I think your friend might mean that *forcing* rhubarb is a bit complicated
- that involves sticking a pot over the top to encourage the stems to get
long and tender, and I'm told can weaken the plant.

But you don't have to do this: unforced rhubarb is very good and easy.

Victoria