Old 10-03-2004, 11:44 PM
Chris Stewart

Default Lack of Sunshine What to do??

"Julie" wrote in message
om...
I should have started some of my seeds already. However in Northern
Ireland this time of year the Sunshine is in short supply. I will not
beable to have any indoor lighting for another 3 weeks or so. What
seedlings will be OK with minimal lighting for that time from
germination until I can get lights?
I know they will be somewhat leggy but I am wondering once the lights
are on how will they recover? OR will they still grow on just as fast
if I wait until I can apply the light to them.
I am mainly wantig to know about tomatoes and peppers as for some
varieties I only have 5 or 6 seeds so I don't want to waste them by
starting now if they have no chance to recover or by sowing them so
late I don't get any fruit from them (and as a result no seed for next
year).So I should really have started them already.....but I was
waiting to see if the sunshine came. I am also getting a greenhouse
(8'x6') in about 3-4 weeks time.

Thanks
Julie

Hi, Julie, I'd wait if I were you. If they start as leggy, pale things they
will take as long to recover. Wait and start with strong healthy ones -
they'll do better in the long run. Well they do in dismal dark Aiberdeen:-)

Chris S