Old 11-03-2004, 01:07 AM
escapee

Default Photinia replacement???

Try taking a ride over to Northaven Gardens and browse their material. They have
a website too:

www.nhg.com

They have a great selection of plants. If you want evergreen you can go with
wax myrtle, but I recommend you find a number of different species and plant
them at differing depths toward the fence. It is much more interesting than
those overplanted photinia's.

On 10 Mar 2004 12:13:22 -0800, (Jay) opined:

Let me start off by stating that this is my first post and I am not
much of the gardening type. Also, please excuse me if I'm long winded,
but on other newsgroups I find I get the best information by providing
plenty of details.

I live just to the north of Dallas in a 12 year old house.

The front of my house is foliated (is that a word?) as follows:

Against the brick along the entire front is a photinia hedge about 4
feet tall. In front of that is some monkey grass bordering the lawn,
about 3-4 feet out from the house. There are three 20 foot crape
myrtles (white, red, white) planted with the photinia on the left and
right corner as well as the center of the house. There is a 15 foot
red oak in the center left of the lawn.

The center section of the photinia has become absolutely dessimated
with what I have come to find out by researching online is
Entomosporium fungus or leaf spot. By dessimated, I mean that for 5 of
the appx 12 bushes, 90% or so of the leaves are solid black. The rest
of the bushes have spot, but only livable amounts. In my research I
have determined that trying to cure the fungus is going to be more
trouble than its worth, especially with the progression of the
disease. I had thought of just pulling up the photinia and sticking in
some new ones, but since i have read that the disease is in the soil
as well, this would just perpetuate the problem (Please correct me if
I have mispoken).

What would be a good replacement for these photinia? My wife likes
things that flower and/or have pretty color, and I like things that
don't require too much work and aren't too expensive. (Why is Monty
Python ringing in my ears?) I'm not work averse enough to go with a
rock garden, though Also, when I replace them, is there anything
that I should do to the soil to keep any new plant from getting
killed? Would a hydrangea be a good choice? I have seen some that are
bigger than my photinia im my neighborhood. If so, what species?

Thanks for your help,

Jay