Old 11-03-2004, 03:29 AM
Susan G

Default raised garden questions

I'm doubtful that the deer will leap into a relatively small enclosed space
like this. I'd imagine a 6 foot (sturdy) fence to be adequate protection,
especially in addition to a 12 inch raised area. I'd also consider decoy
plantings (herbs) that deer don't like, around the perimeter.

Wood (particularly if not pressure-treated) will not last very long if used
to contain the raised bed. I'd opt for stone or some of those stacking
Windsor blocks (I've used them before). If you must use wood, line the
interior with plastic or paint it with water-resistant non-toxic paint
before putting the dirt in.

"coyote22(nospam)" wrote in message
My wife desires a raised garden outside our yard in the greenbelt. We
plan to use the garden for vegetables. We aare debating the use of
landscape timbers, railroad ties, and just regular 2x12 lumber for the
edging. I am concerned about arsenic and coaltar used in the timbers and
railroad ties and want to use 2x12's with 4x4 posts to hold in place and
serve as anchors for fencing material to keep all of the deer out of it.
How high should we make the fence? She is concerned about deer jumping
into the garden, it is approx. 10feet x15 feet. I have proposed a 4-5 ft
tall fence, knowing that the deer could get in there if they desire, but
don't think they will. Does anyone have experience keeping deer out of
such a garden? Your comments on either subject would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.