Old 11-03-2004, 03:46 AM
Ray

Default Renanthera monachica help desperately needed

That genus likes it really bright, really warm, really humid, and with lots
of air movement. I don't think the "sphag-n-bag" idea is a good one unless
you can warm it up a lot, but without direct sun.

When I got the few I have, they were in similar condition. I put them in
wooden slat baskets of coarse charcoal, hung them high in the GH, and forgot
about them (except for regular watering along with the rest of my
collection). In a few months they were screaming back to life.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
"Bacchae" wrote in message
I got a Renanthera monachica in about October. It was
originally potted but I understood that it didn't particularly
like being potted and would want to be in an open basket when
it got a bit bigger.

Because it is a small plant it kept falling over and it soon
became apparent that all the roots in the medium were
shrivelled. I put it in a tiny hydroponics basket and hung it
on my open terrarium where I have other orchids.

In the last little while its lone root has been shrivelling up.
I am freaking out quite a bit now because I don't know what to
do for it. It also seems to be growing a new leaf but I have
no idea what to do with it now that it appears that shortly it
won't have any viable roots.

What can I do?

I have put orchids in veggie bags, you know the ones with the
holes, before so that they get additional humidity and stay a
wee bit warmer if they're near the windows. Do you think this
might help this little guy?

I can post a picture of the plant to abpo if anyone would find
that helpful.

Thanks for your help! I would hate to kill this little
treasure.

- Sandy