Old 11-03-2004, 06:06 AM
B & J

Default Killing crabgrass/fescue in my still dormant bermuda

"Billyba" wrote in message
My bermuda lawn is still dormant, but will probably start growing very

soon.

Some places in the yard, however, have nice green crabgrass or fescue

patches
that have sprouted up from neighbor's yard (or some other reason).

Question: Can I safely use grass killer spray on the green grass and not

hurt
the dormant bermuda? I think these work by coating the green part of the

leaf
and thereby getting into the root, which shouldn't happen with the bermuda

since
it's not actively growing, right?

I don't know your zone, but bermuda allows one to spot spray perennial
grasses with RoundUp without killing dormant bermuda. You are probably too
late this year. In zone 6 I find that late February is the latest spraying
time without leaving bare patches in the lawn. It's still possible to hit
the perennial grass patches but expect a month of bare spots before the
bermuda grows back.

The green patches at this time of year are not crabgrass. Crabgrass is an
annual which grows from seeds dropped from previous year's plants and
doesn't begin growing until warm weather. Check with your local extension
service about controlling annual grasses.

John