Old 11-03-2004, 08:12 AM
Dicky

Default Two Questions

Thanks for ur help. I think i can solve my problems .
"K Barrett" ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D
:5bH3c.97418$ko6.784662@attbi_s02...
"Dicky" wrote in message
how about studying their families? of example orchidaceae,
gesneriaceae..etc. and how about research on their DNAs, such as i want

make a square watermelon....

Wow, those are rather broad questions... I'll see what I can do to help

you,
but know I'll fall short.

As to studying the broad families of plants, a text on general botany will
be helpful. Bookstores at any local college or junior college will have

the
most recent information. Its changed in the 30 years since I've been in
school, but I still refer to my general texts from when I was in college.

On
line there are several botany sites. I usually start with a Google

search.
Like on "gesneriaceae" and seeing what comes up. Heck I've been known to
just type in 'botany' and search whatever site appeals to me, or what

seems
to have information along the lines I'm wondering about. Sometimes its

hard
to even be able to phrase your question and you have to spend the time to
poke around.

Linda's Orchid Page http://www.orchidlady.com has a short synopsis of the
taxonomy for the orchid family, but it is not complete, nor is any other
reference for that matter. *G* Again, I just sort of look around at

what's
available online.

DNA.... hmmm... I'm not sure what you mean by that. Most of what I've

read
about DNA where it pertains to orchids has been published in magazines and
available via interlibrary loan. Trying to find out genetics and
inheritance of traits is hard to ferret out. Not much is published in one
magazine, but if you track back through the American Orchid Society's back
issues you can find information there.... but you'd have to know someone
with the index and a whole collection of their magazines... Same with the
Orchid Digest. Ticks you off don't it? You know the info is out there,

but
you just can't get to it.

There are volumes and volumes of texts available at your local junior
college's library, too. No one says you can't go in there and read them.
You may not be able to check them out unless you are a student, but no one
would stop you at the door wanting to see your student ID card.

Sorry,

K Barrett