Old 11-03-2004, 11:51 AM
jane

Default Alternative heating

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 00:50:57 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

~The message
~from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:
~
~ You can make a heat pump for no cost at all, or very little - assuming
~ you can find someone with an old freezer they don't want.
~
~ That will deliver around 50 to 100 watts, which is just about the amount its
~ motor will need to run, so you might just as well not bother with the whole
~ fridge. Just install the motor and switch it on permanently. Or, easier,
~ just run a 100 watt bulb permanently.
~
~You will pump a great deal more than that, and you have the small amount
~of heat generated by the motor as an added bonus.
~
~If you have ever put your hand by the outblow of a freezer you have
~started from ambient temperature you'll realise it's pushing out as much
~as a small fan-heater.

I keep my second freezer (bought cos of the allotment!) in my
double-glazed conservatory because of that - the heat gets reused to
help keep it frost-free.

The downside is the heat in summer is too much for the freezer - but
at least it means I have an incentive to eat all the freezer contents
before May so I can switch it down for the summer!

And because it's an upright, I don't lose surface space either - and
my african violets are always nice and warm and visible

--
jane

Mark Twain