Old 11-03-2004, 01:20 PM
Mike

Default Preventing regrowth of horsetails.

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 23:03:43 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

In message , Mike
writes
On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 21:37:28 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

In my youth, I tried for 10 years without success, until I took the bull by
the horns and declared the section of garden which was infested as
temporarily non-gardenable and killed off everything in sight with Sodium
Chlorate.

Franz,

I've decided to gove Sodium Chlorate a go. Do you have any idea
whether I should apply it once the shoots have started to appear or if
perhaps, applying some right now might prevent the shoots appearing at
all?

Are you sure you want to render your soil unusable for a whole season?
I doubt that sodium chlorate on its own will do the job either.

Your best chance with horsetails is to hit it repeatedly as it comes up
with dilute glyphosate after bruising and/or dig it out rigorously. You
need to prevent it from storing any new energy in the extensive root
system.

Moving house is probably easier for a quick fix.

Regards,

Martin,

The trouble is this...

The problem patch is under my patio slabs and grows up inbetween them
making access to the roots rather difficult. The bits in the lawn and
in the borders I can live with! I'm only planning on pouring the SC
down the gaps between the slabs, keeping my distance from the lawn of
course.

Mike