Old 11-03-2004, 01:34 PM
Sean Scoggins

Default reseeding lawn

"Baine Carruthers" wrote in message
news
Spring seeding a shady area can result in a decent lawn if you don't wait
too late and are able to water etc. You are not bothered with crabgrass
and

When is too late? Is it time now?

a lawn going. If you have deep dark shade forget the turf and go a
different route.

This area is under the canopy of two large oak trees. A large portion of it
is covered in liriope, another portion covered in vinca major. The vinca
does a good enough job of covering any area I let it, but I don't want a
whole yard full of it. I'm planning to carve some of it out as a border
area covered with pine straw and plant a few hosta or ferns or something.
There's still an area that just "looks" like it should have grass, though.

You didn't mention what type of trees you have or the cause of the shade.

These are oaks.

Most of the commonly available grass seed blends for shade will work.

Most
have creeping red rescue as a part of the blend. Many of these types of
fine fescue do well in poor soils but do not like excessive fertilizer.

Thanks for the info, I may go seed shopping this weekend.