Old 11-03-2004, 04:32 PM
Ken Williams

Default rebar in garden..... why?

Having moved into a house w/ rebar in the garden (but no wire
attaching), I'll give my best guess (at least for my situation).

The previous owner setup a garden around the backyard, in one section it
had rebar about every 18 inches. In this section only, are wild
raspberry bushes. When the raspberries grow in the summer, they grow
out of control. Without the rebar there, they are all over the lawn. I
was actually surprised how much the rebar held back the plants, even
though it was spaced as far apart as it was. I didn't realize this,
pulled them all. I've since replaced it with something not so ugly.

Ken Williams

(Remove .zz when replying.)

brian wrote:
For the sake of potentially sounding crazy.........

Bought an older house. The previous owner (who I never met/talked to)
stuck one-foot sections of rebar (like they use to reinforce concrete)
into the soil around the garden. The rebar is "planted" vertically
(with about six inches protruding from the soil) and is spaced about
six feet apart and is connected together with thin , bare wire.

Anyone have a clue as to what the purpose of this is??????

My uneducated guesses are.....

- adds iron to the soil? (does not explain why connected with thin
wire)
- keeps varmints away? (how?)
- some kind of electrolysis action going on?

Any wacky replies are welcome.

Brian