Old 11-03-2004, 07:27 PM
Lisa C.

Default reseeding lawn

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 22:15:33 GMT, "Sean Scoggins"
wrote:

"Baine Carruthers" wrote in message
If you're wanting a cool season lawn I would wait until fall. You will be
much happier with results, unless you have a shady lawn. This will also

The "shady lawn" comment caught my eye :-) I have a yard that I am
currently rennovating to get the house ready to sell. So, I don't want to
spend a fortune, but I would like some grass. I had pretty much decided to
skip it because I hope to have the house on the market this summer, early
fall -- too early for a fall grass planting. But, most of the area I would
like to seed is under 2 giant oak trees and very shady.

Are you saying that the grass might survive even with immature roots simply
because it won't get beaten up by the sun so much? If so, I wonder what
kind of grass you would recommend? On a related note, does anyone have any
recommendations for hiring a company to seed my shady lawn this spring?
Ideally they would till or otherwise break up the soil (it is quite
compacted and much of it is bare dirt) and then seed and mulch with straw.
As the "things to do before we sell" list grows I am wanting to just throw
money at things like lawn seeding instead of doing it myself :-)

Sean,

Call Casey with Graduate Degree Turf - it is a smaller company, just
starting out - but he is fantastic and the rates are much better than
you'll find with the larger companies. He comes out and gives you an
evaluation of your lawn, complete with all the options you could
choose from - and helps you pick the right one to fit your budget and
time constraints. We're having him work on our lawn now.

See www.graduatedegreeturf.com - the website is pretty basic right
now, but it should get more involved shortly. Casey's contact info is
on the site.

- Lisa
Disclaimer - Casey is a friend of mine, but he is also very
knowledgeable and talented in this area. As I said, he's doing our
yard now so I have experience with his work.