Old 11-03-2004, 11:16 PM
Bill Kirkpatrick

Default One More Plant Fertilizer Question

Happy'Cam'per wrote:
Midposted

How much lighting do you have on this tank.? I'll bet its round about 2
watts per gallon or less, right?

135G tank, running an IceCap 660 VHO ballast and 3 5', high
PAR (2x50/50; 1 actinic), tubes. Just over 3 watts/G. Not
that W/G is anything more than a guideline, I could be using
yellow stoplights, or something equally horrible.

My small 10 gallon is running just over 3wpg, 2 two litre DIY bottles
pumping about 1-2 bubbles per second into the intake of a slow running AC. I
have used the Barr method for the last 6 months or so. It took a while for
the tank to settle into this routine but the results have been great.

I use PMDD with fine results. Many regimens provide
success, for random values of end-user "success". I like
PMDD because Conlin & Sears' are somewhat better at stating
expectations, operating theories, and matching them through
experiments than Bob.

If you don't have algae, then make no mistake, you are
limiting it in some way. ... Algae has a fast turnover rate

Not necessarily.

On the plants "winning" point, you may be correct in regards
to certain nutrients. On the you're limiting algae by some
means point, a hundred years of Biological Science will
disagree with you.

form of Nitrate, NO3. As long as you have all nutrients in a certain range
and not limit ANYTHING, things will be fine.

If you don't limit "ANYTHING", then you are feeding the
algae, without limit, as well. You, I, nor anyone reading
this post, knows what you're limiting, but I assure you that
you have some limiting factor - else you'd have a tank full
of algae.

I have all nutrients in a good range, so far so good (6 months). Why not add
Light to this as a limiting growth factor??

Got plenty. Running 400 odd Watts 12x7 adds up.

Dose all your ferts within a
good range,

No thanks, I spike and limit P.

get the co2 bubbling

25 odd ppm from a pressure tank/controller.

and play with different ammounts of light
until you find the 'sweet spot'.

Can't tolerate anymore growth. Too much pruning already.
(My goal is one hour a month of wet maintenance). I
feed/fert daily, and can't quite make a month without
yanking/trimming some of the plants.

Bill, got any pics of your tanks? I'd love to see

Some on 35mm. No digital camera, tho :-(