Old 12-03-2004, 01:02 AM
Steve

Default apples for seedlings

Look around for yards with a few apple trees that don't have a crab
apple real near by. You could spot these in the spring when they
bloom. If you explain what you are doing, I'm sure the owner would
at least let you have some damaged fruit to save seeds from.
By the way, what ARE you doing? Are you hoping to get good apples
from seed? I can't think of any other reason why you would care if
they were pollinated by a crab apple or not.

Steve

Mihai Cartoaje wrote:

Is there a place where I can find apples which have not grown near
crab apple trees, for planting seedlings?

I heard that phyto-hormones make seed sterile. If it is true, I would
avoid that also.