Old 12-03-2004, 03:49 AM
Steve

Default Minimum corn row/size requirement?

FDR wrote:
"Steve" wrote in message

I suppose 4 rows isn't really required but that seems to the point
at which you get good pollination on most of the ears. I've been
known to go out on a sunny summer morning, lean a corn plant from
the inner rows over to the up wind plants. I give it a shake to
pollinate the row that gets most of the pollen blowing away from it.
Spacing of 12 inches, each way, seems a little close together for
all but the smallest varieties of corn. Crowding leads to poor
quality (small) ears of corn from the center of the patch.
If you are planting such a small patch of corn that you ask these
questions, I would suggest you plant in a square block, rather than
rows.

I've considered that. How many stalks per side?

I don't think it matters. Decide how much garden space you dare to
use for corn and fill the space.
I have the habit of planting in raised beds (my garden tends to be
wet sometimes). I make the beds wide enough for 3 rows of corn
spaced about 14 inches each way. Then there is a wider space and
then another raised bed of 3 rows. I make at least 4 or 5 of these
beds making a pretty big block of corn all together. Even at this
spacing, the corn plants in the interior don't develop to their full
potential. Most of the corn stalks make one nice ear of corn but the
ones on the outside, getting better light, often make 2 good ears.

Steve (in the Adirondacks)

PS Don't tell my wife that I showed this picture (if it even works):
http://www.geocities.com/tlswilso/8-4-01Janecorn.jpg