Old 12-03-2004, 03:56 AM
JD

Default reseeding lawn

Sean,

If you are planning to seed under two large oaks, you will have to do two
things prior to seeding. First raise the canopies of the trees to allow
more light to reach the grass. This can be done by purchasing a quality
extension pruning tool with saw to remove limbs as needed. Second, if the
oaks are large, there is a good chance that the roots are surfacing in order
to feed on the nutrients provided to the lawn. In the past, I have fixed
this problem by creating a bed of double shredded hardwood mulch
approximately 1/2 of the dripline. As the mulch breaks down, it will
provide a nutrient base for the tree, as well as retain moisture for the
trees uptake needs.

If the area is shaded, and will not receive heavy traffic (pets/kids), then
select a 'creeping red fescue'. This fescue is very shade tolerant. A good
shelf brand is available at Ace by the name of 'Palmer's Pride'. A bit
expensive, but it is the best seed for your application. If the soil around
the tree is compacted and clay, then add soil amendments and till to depth
of about 4", if possible, due to surfacing roots of the tree.

Good Luck!

Jason D.

This area is under the canopy of two large oak trees. A large portion of

it
is covered in liriope, another portion covered in vinca major. The vinca
does a good enough job of covering any area I let it, but I don't want a
whole yard full of it. I'm planning to carve some of it out as a border
area covered with pine straw and plant a few hosta or ferns or something.
There's still an area that just "looks" like it should have grass, though.

You didn't mention what type of trees you have or the cause of the

shade.

These are oaks.

Most of the commonly available grass seed blends for shade will work.

Most
have creeping red rescue as a part of the blend. Many of these types of
fine fescue do well in poor soils but do not like excessive fertilizer.

Thanks for the info, I may go seed shopping this weekend.