Old 12-03-2004, 06:32 AM
Bonnie Punch

Default wheat grass?

In article ,
says...
Lastweek got a little 8 inch x 6 inch tray with what contained "wheat grass"
for the pets. This stuff is apparently sold as a dietary "treat" for indoor
cats who don't go outdoors.

Anyhoo, this concoction started growing in roughly 3 to 4 days, and within a
week was "lawn height", actually almost needing a mow if the grass were all
over my yard and not in a little plastic tray.

My question, is wheat grass a viable lawn grass? From what I've seen, I'd
love to just spread some over my entire yard and let it grow in. This stuff
is soft and has a fabulous look to it.

It wouldn't tolerate any traffic at all. I grow it in a nursery flat
for my cats, and if one of them decides to nap in it it's history.

It won't look nice like that for more than a month, after that it'll
start going to seed, and then turn yellow as it dries.

It's wheat (or sometimes oats), so it'll get too tall for a lawn, and
you can't mow it - see my first point.

It is kind of neat to use as an ornamental grass in small plantings
though.

BP