Old 12-03-2004, 11:12 AM
Jim Elbrecht

Default Asparagus Pea

Janet Baraclough.. wrote:
-snip-
I grew them once a few years back, and won't be bothering gain. Yes,
the flowers are pretty and the pods are late; even the smallest freshest
ones are horribly stringy and taste nothing like either peas or
asparagus. More like, er, cardboard.

My experience was similar. 2 summers ago was my first try. I got
2 plants from the packet. Blamed the wet spring & soil. Got about
5-6 'peas'- and rather than eat them I saved the seed.

Last summer I planted the seed & got about a dozen plants. I ate 3
or 4 of several dozen peas that these plants produced & tilled the
rest back in last fall. Even the tiniest ones were tough and
tasteless.

They remind me of a perennial [or at least freely self-seeding]
groundcover that I saw growing along a wall in the wild once. As
wild plants they have some interest because of the unusual pod &
flower-- but as an edible I found them lacking.

Jim [zone 5- upstate NY]