Old 12-03-2004, 01:48 PM
Frogleg

Default Apples from seed

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 13:42:28 +0100, "Jette Randlov"
wrote:

Have anybody tried it? I am wondering if you save seeds from apples grown in
a normal garden, the seeds will likely be cross pollinated and the offspring
F1 - so theoretically the offspring should give fairly healthy, large
apples. The taste cannot be guessed

Apples are propagated by grafting, not seeds.

I keep hearing people saying that the new tree is highly unlikely to produce
good/eatable/normal apples. Is that really true?

It is true, and rather than being "highly unlikely" for a seed-grown
tree to produce edible apples, the chances are infinitessimally small.
"The Botany of Desire" by Michael Pollan was a best seller in the US a
few years ago, and has an extensive section on the habits and history
of apples.

Would it be worth trying just as a fun experiment? If the offspring is
interesting one could graft it on some existing tree.

Of course it'd be a fun experiment. Keep in mind that you're going to
have to wait 3-5 years for fruit (and you need 2 trees for
pollination).