Old 12-03-2004, 02:41 PM
Frogleg

Default Lack of Sunshine What to do??

On 10 Mar 2004 12:32:34 -0800, (Julie) wrote:

I should have started some of my seeds already. However in Northern
Ireland this time of year the Sunshine is in short supply. I will not
beable to have any indoor lighting for another 3 weeks or so. What
seedlings will be OK with minimal lighting for that time from
germination until I can get lights?

I was tempted by the subject line to be a smart-mouth and reply
"move!" but I won't. :-) I think Chris is right that it would be
better to start them off right than hope they'd recover. I never found
windowsill light adequate, and finally got a greenhouse, but many
report raising healthy seedlings under artificial (fluorescent) light.
Full-spectrum Gro(w) Lights are pricey, but apparently ordinary
domestic tubes work, too. The trick is to keep the lights just a
couple of inches above the seedlings. If you search on

seedlings fluorescent

you will find pictures and descriptions of some of these arrangements.